My Favorite Orange Cake

This orange cake is my favorite. It is a moist, dense cake bursting with fresh orange flavor. I saw the recipe in Sunset magazine a few years ago and was fascinated that it contained whole oranges blended up. I wondered if it would taste good or if it would be bitter. After trying the recipe, I was delighted to find that by blending the orange I saved time that I would have spent juicing and zesting oranges, and blending in whole oranges leads to a moist cake that isn’t overly sweet. Now it is my go to recipe when I want an orange cake!





Orange Cake with Cream Cheese Orange Glaze


Ingredients
Cake
1 cup softened butter
1 ¼ cup sugar
3 large eggs
2 oranges
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ½ cups flour
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder

Cream Cheese Orange Glaze
2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons orange juice
pinch of salt

Directions
Preheat oven to 325 Fahrenheit. For the cake, begin by blending oranges. Remove ends and seeds and puree oranges.There should still be small pieces of peel left whole. You will only use 1 ½ cups of this. Next, cream softened butter with the sugar. Add the vanilla and eggs and mix until smooth. Add the 1 ½ cups of orange puree.

In a separate bowl mix together flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the rest of the cake, and combine until mixed together. Pour mixture into a greased and floured loaf or bundt pan. Bake in preheated oven for 55 minutes to an hour until a toothpick comes out clean.
For the glaze, mix together powdered sugar and cream cheese. Add the vanilla and orange juice and pinch of salt and stir until smooth. Pour over slightly warm cake.

Comments

Popular Posts